Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  20+ Years of Employment Law Experience

The last question ... I have to list the other physician in

The last question ... I have to list the other physician in practice as a reference. Our relationship was reasonably good although not perfect. I would say, she was somewhat jealous for me being the more personable and better liked one despite her having worked there much longer. Nevertheless, I had actually generously helped her to get through her own serious "situations" without ever making any fuss about it. That said, my sudden departure probably was a hardship per se, too. On that last day at work I asked if she could be my reference and she said "yes, but you need to work on those issues that made you to oversleep". Well, certainly, correct assessment of the obvious. But I remain unclear, therefore, if she was planning to bring this up once asked to provide the reference. In the worst case scenario, how far can she go bringing this up on her own from the legal standpoint? She is in a management position at that practice. I suppose nothing really prevents her from mentioning the issue? Although I suspect it cannot be mentioned as the reason for me being asked to leave, correct?
Thank you for your new question.

Unfortunately, if she is making a true statement about you she can do so, but of course management cannot say that is why you were terminated. Just because an employee has some issues at employment it does not mean that is the reason they were fired. So she can say you do oversleep, which in the scheme of things is a pretty minor issue in the employment world.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Sorry, there IS another question. For some potential employers I need to list another reference from that practice. Since there were no more physicians, it would be a physician assistant who works there. In our brief communication since the incident he has been extremely kind to me, as he really had been before when we worked together where we were leaning on each other through the endless crises that I mentioned. Certainly, our relationship was MUCH closer than with the other physician. That said, with a family to support, he may feel forced to cave in if asked to be not so kind, especially if the new practice will be sufficiently close to pose a threat that my former patients will seek to transfer their care there. Unlike the other physician, he is NOT in a management position. Is he, therefore, able to convey that my oversleeping was the actual reason for termination? SHOULD I THEREFORE FEAR HIM MORE THAN THE PHYSICIAN AS MY REFERENCE? Given the obvious potential for internal disagreement with the other physician, it would not be all that hard to understand why the PA is my listed as a reference from the practice if only one is enough. It may not seem like such a big deal in other jobs, but a physician who cannot be found for two hours IS a serious problem, even if it has happened only on an occasion.

Thank you for you follow up.

Generally, the prospective employer contacts the reference directly and not through your employer, which means your former employer will likely never even know the PA is being contacted, especially if you give his cell or home phone number and his personal email address for contact. I do understand that depending on the situation not being able to find the doctor can be a major issue (I believed you were talking about being late to show up for office visits, not emergency issues, and that is what I was referring to as minor). The best way to give references though is give out only personal emails and cell or home numbers do not give work numbers to your references.