Brandon, Esq.
Brandon, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Has received a certificate of recognition from the California State Senate for his outstanding legal service.

there was a statement made in my work evaluation that was deragatory

there was a statement made in my work evaluation that was deragatory toward me and it was stated that this was told to my boss by 2 other named people who work for the same company. In my response i said it was untrue and hurtful but it is still in my evaluation. Is this considered libel?

Thank you,

Valerie XXX@XXXXXX.XXX
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Brandon, Esq. replied 7 months ago.

Employment-LawExpert :

Hello and thank you for your question today.

Employment-LawExpert :

Are you online with me?

Employment-LawExpert :

First, let me say that I am terribly sorry that you have found yourself in this situation. Libel occurs when a person makes a false statement of fact about another person in writing that causes that person damage. The key component of such a claim is that there must be a 1) statement of fact. So, if the report states that two other people said something, then the report would not be libelous unless the two other people did not say anything.

Employment-LawExpert :

If the report is opinion, and not fact, then the report would not be libelous.

Employment-LawExpert :

Welcome to the chat

Employment-LawExpert :

However, if the report states that you did something, which is false, then that is libelous, and you should consider filing a claim against them. If this is the case, then you would want to find a personal injury attorney in your area.

If you decide to hire an attorney a great resource is www.Martindale.com. This is a nationwide directory that is useful in finding highly qualified legal specialists in various fields of law. The lawyers in Martindale are not selected because they paid to be included, but rather because they have been rated by other attorneys as qualified experts in their field. Consider consulting with two or three different attorneys willing to take your case prior to selecting the one you feel most comfortable with.

Employment-LawExpert :

Does that make sense?

Customer:

yes thank you

Employment-LawExpert :

Does that fully answer your question today?

Customer:

i believe so.

Employment-LawExpert :

Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to assist you further. If you do not require any further assistance, I would be most grateful if you would remember to provide my service a positive rating, as this is the only way I will receive credit for assisting you.

Employment-LawExpert :

Have a wonderful rest of your day.

Brandon, Esq., Lawyer
Experience: Has received a certificate of recognition from the California State Senate for his outstanding legal service.