Legalease, Lawyer
Experience:  13 years experience in employment law, unions, contracts, workers comp law

I was sued 7 years ago. Can an employer ask if I have ever

I was sued 7 years ago. Can an employer ask if I have ever been sued on an employment application?

Hello there.

An employer is permitted to ask for permission for background checks for criminal violation and to check your credit. They cannot ask specifically about any civil judgments unless it pertains to the work you will be doing (for example, if you are an Architect and you were sued about a building plan you prepare). Unfortunately, in many instances if you are sued and there is a judgment against you the creditor or the courts can report that on your credit report. If you refuse to grant the employer permission to perform the background check or the credit check then they do not have to hire you for the job. If it really is worrying you, you might want to check your credit reports before you apply for any employment positions.

Please press the 3rd, 4th or 5th smile face below so I will be paid for my time.. I am paid NOTHING unless you press a positive rating below. Pressing a positive rating below will NOT cost you any additional money -- it simply acts as the trigger for Just Answer to pay me for my time. THANK YOU