Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Significant experience in all areas of employment law.
60109343

If my company has employees in multiple states but all hiring

If my company has employees in multiple states but all hiring is done in NY, is it required to register with EVErify if an employee will be living and working in a state that requires use of everify (such as NC or GA)?
Hello and thank you for entrusting me to assist you.

The answer to your question is "yes." This is because the law in the state in which an employee is physically located and working is the law which always governs that worker's employment. If the law in a particular state requires E-Verify and the employee is located there, the employer must comply with the local law and use E-Verify.

This bright line distinction is necessary as a matter of public policy. Otherwise, the application of a state's laws would be jumbled with the task of discerning the true "principle place of business" of every employer, with different laws being applied to different companies depending on their corporate structure.

Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to assist you further.

If you do not require any further assistance, please be so kind as to provide a positive rating of my service so that I may receive credit for assisting you. Very best wishes to you and thank you so much for coming to Just Answer.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your response, further is there any requirement that if we everify the employees in one state that we have to do it in all states? Ex. Even though our hiring is all done through the ny office can we everify any employee in NC but not everify the ones working in NY
Meghan,

Thanks for your reply.

"further is there any requirement that if we everify the employees in one state that we have to do it in all states?"

There is no such requirement. The sole relevant question is what the law dictates in the state where the employee is physically working. Needing to conduct E-Verify on an employee in one state does not necessitate that you then conduct E-Verify on an employee located in a different state which does not require it.

Again, please feel free to let me know if you have any further concerns.