Zachary
Zachary, Lawyer
Experience:  Contracts, Wrongful termination and discrimination
17219180

I was offered a monetary sum to take a early retirement along

I was offered a monetary sum to take a early retirement along with 80 other employees.So this offer was planned out well in advance.Many of us accepted the offer by signing a letter and turning it in by a certain date.After the signing of this we were delivered pension packages to fillout and hand in by a certain date.Now after all the paper work is complete they brought another paper to sign removing them from any and all law suits now or in the future.The kicker is we now have to retire cause we filled the papers out and time has expired to get them returned.ALSO you will not get the money you were offered to take the retirement,even though you sign all papers required before this one.You would think this paper would have been included in all the prior paper work.Is this a normal company requirmnent or what?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Zachary replied 11 months ago.

Thanks for your question.

It is a normal requirement for company's to ask you to waive lawsuits in exchange for a pension payout. However, this is normally done up front and is out in the open, not snuck in after the deal was seemingly struck. Accordingly, here you could legally argue that the company has fraudulently induced you into retiring. You could sue for rescission of the early retirement deal and ask the court to order your reinstatement. I'm not certain that you would really gain any benefit from this action, but it is a option.

Please let me know if you have any further questions. Please also kindly consider rating my answer positively so that I am compensated by the website for my work on your question. Rating positively does not cause an additional charge and does not prevent us from further discussing your questions.

Best Regards,
ZDN
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

so it is normal for a company therefore I can sign it without worry of anything down the road?I need to kown iif this is common period.

Expert:  Zachary replied 11 months ago.
Yes, it is normal.
Zachary, Lawyer
Experience: Contracts, Wrongful termination and discrimination