Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  I provide employment and discrimination law advice in my own practice.
18572087

if you are scedualed to work, and show up, is there a minimum

if you are scedualed to work, and show up, is there a minimum amount of hours they have to pay you for showing up. this has happened to my girl friend 3x, only to be told. there is not enough work for her to be there today?

Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.

I am sorry to hear that your girlfriend is in this situation. Under state law there is no minimum that the employer has to pay out unless such a limit is listed directly in her employment contract. In other words if the employer states that for any scheduled call the employer agrees to cover an hour, they would be bound to do so. Otherwise there is no obligation to pay for anything if the person is not formally clocked in. I wish I had a different answer for you, since the employer is taking advantage of their employees, but it is not a violation of state law, and it is likewise not an obligation to cover certain time restrictions.

Good luck.