Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  I provide employment and discrimination law advice in my own practice.
18572087

Hello Dimitry, Companies usually have policies in place

Hello Dimitry,

Companies usually have policies in place to "control" certain events or behaviors.

Is required that those policies be signed by the General Manager and that training is provided to the employees so they know how they will impact them?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question and thank you most kindly to ask me to assist you further.

To answer directly, training is generally not required unless the policy is not inherently understood or is not too esoteric. For example requesting that employees treat each other in a respectful manner does not typically require training although the employer, as an example of notice, can provide it. But for example if there is policy to attach a specific document to each outgoing mailing, such policy would generally need to be covered under training as it is policy but is company specific based on industry or work itself. The General Manager does not have to sign changes, an HR representative or director can sign the changes instead. Any changes have to prominently displayed, or uploaded to company intranet sites if there are any, or placed into the company employee handbook for the employee to be bound by the changes.

Good luck.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The questions arrives because there were some changes of an old policy that now want to enforce because one employee did not follow it.

Previously, the General Manager and the Human Resource Manager need to sign the revised policy and provide training to the employees maintaining a Training Attendance Record. In this situation, the General Manager had not sign the policy, only the HR Manager signed it. No training had been provided.

Since that was the procedure,

Thank you for your follow-up.

The past procedure, even if not followed, is only binding if that is the procedure outlined in the employee manual pertaining to changes. Otherwise so long as a high enough director of the company provides the changes (and an HR manager generally qualifies), the changes are still valid and binding if the changes are directly defined and provided to the employees. Providing training is not necessary, proving that the parties were on notice is generally sufficient.

Good luck.

Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience: I provide employment and discrimination law advice in my own practice.