Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  I provide employment and discrimination law advice in my own practice.

I am a physician working for a large hospital group. Do the

I am a physician working for a large hospital group. Do the labor laws requiring a break and meal breaks apply to me? I am in Washington state.

Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.

Just to be clear, you are working as a physician, correct? I ask because physicians are generally 'exempt' from labor laws, which means that breaks and meal exceptions do not generally apply. As an 'exempt' worker based on the fact you work as a professional, you are not given the same rights and obligations as an hourly laborer or worker who is not in an administrative, professional, or executive classifications. As a consequence there is no break requirement.

I am sorry.