Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer
Experience:  Employment/Labor Law Litigation
20011183

I have a felony. Employer didnt ask. I didnt tell. One

I have a felony. Employer didn't ask. I didn't tell. One year later after a great first year at the company, they learned of my felony. Can they fire me in PA?
Thank you for your question today, I look forward to assisting you. I bring nearly 20 years of legal experience in various disciplines.

Unfortunately, they can. Criminal history, particularly for felonies, is still one of those things that an employer can overtly discriminate against in hiring and during employment.

The fact that they previously did not care about the issue does not change that they can terminate on that basis.

Now, they don't have to fire you. They can certainly choose to keep you based on your good work record with them, but if they choose to release you, that would be legal.

You would get unemployment though. They wouldn't be able to claim that you failed to disclose if they didn't ask.