Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer
Experience:  Employment/Labor Law Litigation
20011183

My 16 year old granddaughter works at Sonic in Higginsville,

My 16 year old granddaughter works at Sonic in Higginsville, MO. Her boss has made her close at 11pm and then be back to open at 6:30am the next day (one morning she was left by herself to open, take orders, fill orders and deliver orders for 2 hours while her boss, who was supposed to be helping her, ran errands!). Is it legal to leave a 16 year old alone like this?
Thank you for your question today, I look forward to assisting you. I bring nearly 20 years of legal experience in various disciplines.

Both Federal and Missouri, for whatever reason, has chosen to only make laws restricting the working hours of those under the age of 16. People that are over the age of 15 years have no restrictions on the hours that they can be asked to work and can work any job that has not been declared a hazardous job by the Secretary of Labor (like coal mining, as an example).

Unfortunately, there is nothing illegal, on these facts, about having a 16 year perform these tasks during these hours.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

So there's nothing wrong with making a 16 year old run a Sonic by herself for 2 hours?

Not in the law, no.

If you're asking if I personally would allow that, no I agree with you that that shouldn't happen, but I'm restricting myself to giving you a legal answer here.

There is nothing in either Missouri or Federal law that would make that illegal. I'm simply respecting you enough to be honest with you here. I have no vested interest in making your grand daughter work, but I can't tell you something is illegal when it is not, in fact, illegal.