Marsha411JD, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed Attorney with 28 yrs. exp in Employment Law
19127644

I am a manager without firing authority over employees. I am

I am a manager without firing authority over employees. I am constantly being called names and belittled by employees and other managers as well. This has occurred in front of the General Manager/Owner several times and nothing is ever said. I am considering quitting my job because of this. Complaints go unanswered. Do I have a case for Work Place Harassment and what would my next step be.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Marsha411JD replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the information and your question and I am sorry to read about your situation. Can you tell me what sort of names you are being called and what is said that is belittling? Also, is there any reason to believe that this is directed at you because of your gender, race, national origin, age (over 40), disability, religion, pregnancy or AIDS/hiv status? Are there at least 15 employees where you work?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am the Internet Sales Manager for the company, The most common thing I have been call is Sloth, I have no idea why. I am the youngest person at the place of employment at the age of 25 but I have worked hard to get to where I am. I am Male as is most of the work staff. People say things like you do nothing, I could do this better, Your a glorified secretary, ext..., I feel like it has a lot to do with my age but I have increased the influx of online leads by 400% in less than 6 months and I can prove this if necessary. We have over 20 employees.

Hello again and thank you for your reply. Unfortunately there is currently no law that prohibits discrimination or harassment based on someone who is young or under 40. What you described is not unlawful, even though it is clearly unprofessional and shows poor management practices. The only workplace harassment that is actionable is "severe and pervasive" harassment that is based on one of the factors I described in my information request to you. Otherwise, just general unprofessional talk/harassing behavior in the workplace is, thus far, not illegal.

So, this is a situation where you are forced to either continued to put up with this behavior, and try to ignore it, or perhaps finding another workplace where you are treated with more respect.

Please let me know if you need any clarification. I would be glad to assist you further if I can.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Forgot to mention that they posted a picture of a sloth and wrote internet sales manager under it and hung up for the public to see. But thanks for you response.

Well, it is definitely an unprofessional workplace and it is unfortunate. Not a place I would want to work and I have to say that you really should push your boss to talk to the staff. You have the right to take down anything that you think is objectionable about you that the public might see.
Marsha411JD, Lawyer
Experience: Licensed Attorney with 28 yrs. exp in Employment Law