D) Wage Guidelines
Here are a few general guidelines that deal with wage rates and pay increases.
1) Each new employee will be hired with a 30-Day training wage, at which time their salary will be evaluated.
2) After completion of Step #1 – there will be no pay increases for the duration of one year.
3) Annual employee evaluations will be conducted to determine if a pay increase is in order.
Your pay period is every two weeks Monday thru Sunday. After Sunday closes, Monday the payroll is run. Payday is every other Thursday. Your check can be picked up between 2 and 4. They do have to be picked up at the office. We will not send out any pay checks. We highly recommend getting direct deposit. Talk to the accountant for your paperwork. You are still able to pick up your pay stub at the office during the office hours, but will get paid no later than Thursday.
In our industry, there are many functions at which the employees will be offered a “tip” for exceptional service. The following are guidelines that govern the distribution of tips and their reporting with Essence of the Thymes Catering:
1) No tip is “automatic.” Each employee must EARN their tip by working hard, following directions, being respectful to the client, the guests and their event supervisor. It is at the SOLE discretion of the PIC of the event whether an employee has earned a tip for that event. Any behavior that is prohibited by Essence of the Thymes guidelines will automatically cause an employee to be ineligible to receive tips.
2) ALL TIPS ARE POOLED. At Essence of the Thymes’ functions, all tips are pooled and divided among ALL employees (that have earned a tip) that are working in that pay period. It would be unfair to the dish pit crew or loaders, who have worked as hard as the entire crew, to not be tipped simply because they were not visible to the clients. This includes tips collected by the bartenders, valet parkers, servers, on site chef, PIC, etc. At Essence of the Thymes, we are a TEAM, and each event is handled by a TEAM. We all work hard, and we all deserve to be fairly compensated for our exceptional work.
3) All tips, including those from the bar, received in cash, check or credit card form will be divided weekly between all eligible employees and added to your normal payroll check. If you are on payroll that week you are eligible for the tip pool.
4) The tips are divided by your tip share. All employees that work the event get one full share and employees that worked on the events, but were not at the event, get a half share of the tip pool. Employees in their 30 day training wage will receive a half share of the tip pool.
5) All tips are divided through payroll. Only payroll employees are eligible. Cash tips received at the event whether slipped into your pocket, in an envelope, etc. must be turned into the PIC prior to leaving. The amount gets written on the clock in sheet by the PIC and the accountant divides it up appropriately.
6) Policy for tips sent in after the event: If a tip comes before Monday, it will still make it on the correct pay period. If the tip is given after the pay period is closed, then the accountant will issue the tips on the following paycheck, but with the correct eligible employees.
7) 6) Tip Jars: It is a reasonable expectation to both bartenders and bar patrons for the bartender to have available a “tip jar” for their exceptional service. However, due to the nature of our business, a “tip jar” on the bar would be either an insult to the client, or in poor taste. It will be at the discretion of the PIC whether the bartender will be allowed to make available a “tip jar.” In general, Essence of the Thymes catering prohibits the use of a tip jar since the client has provided/supplied the alcohol. No bartender will make a tip jar available without an express permission from the PIC, and when used these tips WILL be included in the pool of tips from other sources for the evening.