Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  20+ Years of Employment Law Experience

my daughter who works as Library Supervisor in Davie FL

my daughter who works as Library Supervisor in Davie (Broward County) Florida has been asked to go to a pre-disciplinary meeting. She has been interviewing to get out of her current position because there is a toxic environment where managers are encouraged to pre-dis their employees (escalating to top management) if they suspect any wrongdoing rather than resolving it within the department. Doing a pre-dis means that one has to be present at a formal meeting with the Regional Manager and HR of that department. A pre-dis is strictly a fact finding meeting. The pre-dis notification letter which was sent to my daughter that there would be a pre-dis meeting next week, also copied other HR Managers outside of her department by her Regional Manager. Why? We assume because her Regional Manager doesn't like my daughter and wants to jeoperdize her chances at getting another job where she is one of 2 finalists for this other position. By this action, we feel that my daughter's chances for this other job have been potentially squelched. Does my daughter have any recourse legally because she's being prevented from seeking gainful employment in another department by the actions of this Redional Manager.

Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 7 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking.

If your daughter can prove that the reason for this meeting is false or not factual, then YES she does have grounds to file suit against the manager for defamation and harassment as well. The manager cannot keep filing these pre disciplinary claims for false reasons and if he has done so and it causes her to lose the new position then the loss of the new position would be part of her damages. Additionally, if she is under a contract in her position and there is a union the union should be filing a grievance and if there is no union then your daughter should file a complaint to the school board directly for the abuse and misuse of the pre disciplinary process.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience: 20+ Years of Employment Law Experience