Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  I provide employment and discrimination law advice in my own practice.

i am a nurse. a week ago one of our nurses discovered a nursing

i am a nurse. a week ago one of our nurses discovered a nursing attendant illegally accessing a pornography site on one of our computers. she came and told me about it. he was not aware that he had been discovered. i was not in charge of the unit that night. i asked her if she wanted me to talk to him and she said yes. i did, and the incident was written up, and was later reported to our nurse manager. a few days passed and our nurse manager is now asking everyone who was working that night to write a statement. i said no. she stated she now wants to report me for insubordination. a serious offense. does she have a leg to stand on?

Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.

I am afraid that she does have a leg to stand on. As your direct superior she can request that you, in the scope of your duties, formally issue a statement based on what you knew, how you knew it, and the events based on that situation. Failure to do so, as the request is directly based on your position and is also directly based on the scope of employment, could be considered insubordinate behavior. the manager is not requesting you to do something out of scope or is illegal or otherwise improper. Therefore the request is valid and actionable, which also means that it has to be performed.

Good luck.