I am a nanny for a family an signed a contract that states the following,
Nanny is an at will
employee and may choose to work for the Family for as little or as long as Nanny desires. Likewise, the Family may continue the Nannys employment for as little or as long as they wish. However, both parties agree to provide four weeks notice of intent to terminate this agreement (or pay in lieu of such notice), except when such termination is for cause.
4. TERMINATION FOR CAUSE :
Immediate termination without any notice is possible on the following grounds:
- Allowing the child(ren)s safety
to be compromised
- Inconsistent or non performance of agreed upon job responsibilities
- Dishonesty or lying to Family
- Misuse of Family automobile
- Breach of confidentiality
- Persistent tardiness of more than 15 minutes without valid reason
- Unapproved guests
or consumption of alcohol while on duty
- Illegal drug
- Failure of the Family to remit payment for more than 1 month
- Fear of harm or threat by either party due to actions of the other party "
The job has been straining on my mental health to the point of ER visits for anxiety and chest pains as well as physical side affects including nausea. The family also has a dog who bites me 1-2 times a day while I am working. I have mentioned this to the family and they have not done anything to change the animals behavior. I would like to submit a written letter of immediate termination of my employment with the family but am worried that the family will sue me if I do since the contract states that I must provide four weeks notice. Can they sue me and if so what would the worst case scenario be?