John, Employment Lawyer
Experience:  Exclusively practice labor and employment law.

I gave a three week notice after returning from a 16 week FMLA and was told they no longer

I gave a three week notice after returning from a 16 week FMLA and was told they no longer need my services. Can my employer do this?
Hi, thanks for submitting your question today. This is a common scenario - the employee gives notice of resignation for some time in the future, and the employer takes offense to the resignation and terminates employment on the spot. Unfortunately, there is nothing unlawful with the employer's action. However, the employee is entitled to unemployment compensation for the time for which he/she gives notice. In your case you would be eligible for three weeks unemployment; if that's any conciliation to you.

I believe this answers your question. However, if you need clarification or have follow-up questions regarding this matter, I will be happy to continue our conversation – select the Reply to Expert or Continue Conversation button. If you are otherwise satisfied with my response, please leave a positive rating as it is the only way I am able to get credit for my answers. Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX wish you all the best with this matter.