John, Employment Lawyer
Experience:  Exclusively practice labor and employment law.

My employer dropped me to part time them started to send me

My employer dropped me to part time them started to send me home for lack of work . Last
week she sent me home and told me not to come back until she called me. My question is
after a year and a half employment shouldn't i qualify for unemployment benefits? I work in a child care center.

Thank You [email protected]
Hi, thanks for submitting your question today. Yes after a year and half you have established a qualifying base period upon which you can draw benefits. Likewise, the reduction in work hours qualifies you for benefits. Under Tennessee law, a temporary layoff occurs when an employee works fewer than four customarily scheduled full-time days due to lack of work. If you have no work or partial earnings from your organization, you may submit a full or partial claim for this period. You will have to report any income you earn from this employer or any other employer during this period, which may cause your benefits to be reduced, but you would be owed some amount of benefits as long as you work less than the 4 full time days per week.

I believe this answers your question. However, if you need clarification or have follow-up questions regarding this matter, I will be happy to continue our conversation – select the Reply to Expert or Continue Conversation button. If you are otherwise satisfied with my response, please leave a positive rating as it is the only way I am able to get credit for my answers. Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX wish you all the best with this matter.