John, Employment Lawyer
Experience:  Exclusively practice labor and employment law.

The company has a staff of 47,000 worldwide. therefore based

The company has a staff of 47,000 worldwide. therefore based on the information provided for punitive damages, would the maximum amount requested be US $300,000.00. thank u very much
Hi, thanks for submitting your question today. You are asking about damages available in a discrimination matter.

The entire premise of the discrimination statutes is to make the discriminatee "whole" for the discrimination he or she has suffered. This would include back-pay and benefits, out of pocket costs, as well as future wage and benefits costs if the employer is not going to return the employee to work. Further, compensatory costs may be awarded for things like mental anguish or harm because of the discrimination. Likewise, in the remedy may include placing the employee where he/she should have been placed in the company (which may occur in the case of not getting a promotion or raise because of discrimination .

Lastly, the federal discrimination laws allow punitive damages against the employer in limited circumstances where the discrimination is found to be blatant. Specifically you state the employer has 47,000 employees worldwide. The jurisdiction of the law however is only in the U.S.. Thus the punitive measure, according to the EEOC compliance manual exclusively depends on how many employees the employer has in the U.S. If they have in excess of 500 employees in the U.S., the eligible punitive damages is $300,000.

I believe this answers your question. However, if you need clarification or have follow-up questions regarding this matter, I will be happy to continue our conversation – select the Reply to Expert or Continue Conversation button. If you are otherwise satisfied with my response, please leave a positive rating as it is the only way I am able to get credit for my answers. Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX wish you all the best with this matter.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thank u very much