Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Former judicial law clerk, lawyer

I was just demoted in my job along with a 20,000 dollar salary

I was just demoted in my job along with a 20,000 dollar salary decrease. I work for a gold mine in Nevada. The demotion was a surprise to me. I have no marks against me in my file, my last evaluation was satisfactory. The reason for the demotion was that the general manager did not feel I could give him what he wanted when he wanted it. I have not gotten concrete feedback why they are doing this and they promoted someone else into my position that use to report to me. Is this legal?

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear that this happened.

Because most employment is at will, an employer unfortunately can demote an employee or reduce wages without any reason. Unless you have an employment contract that specifically states that you cannot be terminated without cause, there is no law that prevents them from making the change. An employer is not required to give notices before taking negative employment action, absent something in writing that requires it.

I apologize that this was probably not the Answer you were hoping to receive. However, it would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me were I to provide you with anything less than truthful and honest information. I hope you understand.

Good luck.