Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Former judicial law clerk, lawyer

After almost 7 years of employment I was terminated without

After almost 7 years of employment I was terminated without notice, always got a raise and appraisals every year never got written up or verbally reprimanded and I would like to know what my rights are.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear that this happened.

The default rule in the law is that employment is at will. That means that an employer unfortunately can let an employee go at any time, for any reason - or no reason at all. The employer is not required to reprimand, write up, or give the employee any warnings prior to termination. Unless there is a written contract stating that you may only be terminated for cause, unfortunately, an employee does not have any rights in this situation, other than the ability to seek unemployment compensation.

I apologize that this was probably not the Answer you were hoping to receive. However, it would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me were I to provide you with anything less than truthful and honest information. I hope you understand.

Good luck.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Lucy,

If my employer fights my unemployment, I have no legal leg to stand other words.

If he fights it, you can appeal. To deny you unemployment, he has to show proof that you were terminated for a reason that would allow them to turn you down. One of the most common reasons that someone would be denied is attendance-related issues, or misconduct on the job. If they let you go for no reason, they would need a valid basis for fighting an unemployment award - not wanting to pay isn't a valid basis.