Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  20+ Years of Employment Law Experience

I was on unemployment for a few months and was getting $460

I was on unemployment for a few months and was getting $460 a week. Now I have my first extension, and I am only getting $355 a week. That is NOT enough. I am in NJ. What happened??
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking.

On extended benefits, unemployment has to recalculate your benefit amounts as the federal extension benefits have been reduced and there is a table put out by the NJ Unemployment Division to show the calculation of benefits with the federal reduction. See: Federal Benefits Reduction Table.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes it went from 457 to 355 and I see that in the chart. Why does this happen? I dont remember this happening 3 years ago when I used 2 extensions.

Thank you for your response.

It went down because Congress cut the budget for the emergency unemployment extension. This is why it did not happen before, but it is happening now.