Ray, Employment lawyer
Experience:  30 years in Employment law
8534270

I am bookkeeper for a large church in Texas. We pay childcare

I am bookkeeper for a large church in Texas. We pay childcare and Mothers Day Out workers at the end of the month only. Is that OK or should they be paid more often? Most are only making about $8/hour.

RayAnswers :

Thanks for your question and good afternoon.Here are the federal and Texas payday laws for your reference.

RayAnswers :

Each employee who is exempt from the overtime provisions of the federal Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) must be paid at least once a month; others must be paid at least twice a month. Semi-monthly pay periods must contain as nearly as possible an equal number of days. Within those limitations, an employer may designate any paydays he or she chooses.

Employers must post notices of paydays in conspicuous places in the workplace. If an employer does not designate paydays, the employer's paydays are the first and 15th of each month.

If an employee quits, they must be paid in full at the next regular payday. Terminated employees must be paid in full within six days.

If an employee is not paid on a payday for any reason, including the employee's absence, the employer must pay those wages on another business day as requested by the employee.

Bonuses or wages paid on a commission basis are due in a timely manner according to the terms of agreement between the employee and employer.

RayAnswers :

Here since these are hourly employees they are supposed to be paid twice a month under the FLSA above.

RayAnswers :

Reference from TWC..

RayAnswers :

You would need to convert to a twice monthly pay day here since they are hourly employees under the reference I gave you above.

RayAnswers :

I appreciate the chance to assist you today.If you have more follow up please just ask.Thanks again.

RayAnswers :

I hope that you will be so kind as to leave a positive rating. If you do have any additional questions about my answer please click the "Continue Conversation Link" so I can provide you with a fully satisfactory answer. Please be aware that any rating of 1 or 2 is reflected as a negative rating and I receive no credit for my answers.

This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship.Information provided here is not legal advice. Rather it is simply general information.

RayAnswers :

Nancy here is a real helpful worksheet for a church and paydays, etc.

RayAnswers :

Thanks again.