TexLaw, Lawyer
Experience:  Contracts, Wrongful termination and discrimination

After working for a company for almost 45 years I was called

After working for a company for almost 45 years I was called into the office and was told to resign or I was being terminated for sexual harrassment that supposely happened 9 months ago. Six months ago I was called into the office and asked about this incident and I told them all I did was prevent a woman from walking out in front of a fork lift by grabbing her and pulling her back. Nothing was ever said to me about sexual harrassment. I was told that if i would resign they would let em have unemployment, but if I was terminated that I would not get unemployment, so I resigned. I asked how come I was never told about this sexuall harrassment and they told me because they paid her a settlement. What are my rights?

Thank you for your question.

If your union's contract provides you with a right to contest the charge and participate in an investigation, you might have some rights in this situation. Further, if the union contract states that you may only be terminated for cause, then you have the right to sue the company for wrongful termination under the contract.

Do you know if your union's contract contains these rights for your position?