TexLaw
TexLaw, Lawyer
Experience:  Contracts, Wrongful termination and discrimination
17219180

Would I have a case / cause for wrongful termination if I told

Would I have a case / cause for wrongful termination if I told the office manager of a cardiac practice that I thought there was embezzlement going on. My paychecks sometimes took 2 months to be issued and then they would be for the wrong amount. The day I talked to the manager was the last day I worked, wasn't fired, I didn't quit; just was never scheduled to work again. The day I did go in to e-mail my patient list of stress I did, I was told to leave or security would be called.

Thank you for your question and I'm very sorry to hear about your situation.

Unfortunately, this sort of internal whistleblowing to your employer does not trigger any sort of non-retaliation protection under the law. Unless you had an employment contract which provided you could only be terminated for cause, then you are an AT-Will employee. The At Will Doctrine provides that an employer may terminate an employee for any reason whatsoever, even if it is a false reason. The only limitation on this is that an employer may not terminate an employee because of discrimination based on race, color, religion, sex, military status, national origin, disability, age, or ancestry of the employee.

In your case, you say you were terminated because you suspect you reported possible embezzlement going on at the office. Given that the employer has a right to terminate you for any reason that the employer believes is fit, even if it is reporting a suspected crime, do you believe that the termination was actually based on discrimination regarding your race, color, religion, sex, military status, national origin, disability, age, or ancestry?