TexLaw, Lawyer
Experience:  Contracts, Wrongful termination and discrimination

I was most recently told that two of my favorite employees

I was most recently told that two of my favorite employees at the fast food exchange "SONIC" in South XXXXX, XXXXX was improperly terminated because a customer claimed they were rude to him or her. My wife and I both agree that if not for these two employees we would choose one of the other food exchanges in the area, which are several. I was told the employees in question was improperly discharge by text, or a phone call. I'm a retired manager from "UNITED PARCEL SERVICE", and I think I'm pretty familiar on the procedures for both "HIRING & DISCHARGE". I understand the owner's name of this "FRANCHISE" is Mitch Neal. The name of the two employees in question is; Josephine Bobbitt, and her daughter Shakina Bobbitt. My experience with discharging an employee is; talk with's, written interviews, warning notices, face to face meeting, then discharge, once all else has failed. It doesn't seem if though Mr Mitch Neal followed proper protocol for discharging an employee.

Thank you for contacting us.

What is your exact question regarding this set of circumstances?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

how can you discharge an employee on the word of a customer, and by telephone, or text. some where in there, i'm looking at improper discharge.

I think the best thing here is to start with an explanation of the law in this area and then discuss this case in particular. In Virginia, and throughout the United States, employment law heavily favors the employer in most situations. Unless the employee has a contract which provides that the employee may only be terminated for cause, the law will hold that the employee's right to work falls under the At Will Doctrine. The At Will Doctrine provides that an employer may terminate an employee for any reason whatsoever, even if it is a false reason. The only limitation on this is that an employer may not terminate an employee because of discrimination based on race, color, religion, sex, military status, national origin, disability, age, or ancestry of the employee.

In this case, you say the were terminated because of an allegation that they were rude to a customer (without any actual evidence). Given that the employer has a right to terminate the employees for any reason that the employer believes is fit, do you believe that the termination was actually based on discrimination regarding the employee's race, color, religion, sex, military status, national origin, disability, age, or ancestry?