TexLaw, Lawyer
Experience:  Contracts, Wrongful termination and discrimination

Is it legal for a potential employer to ask for copies of my

Is it legal for a potential employer to ask for copies of my tax forms for previous years? I file my taxes with my husband (married - filing jointly) and am uncomfortable with this request.

Thank you for your question.

Asking for a tax return during an interview is not illegal. However, tax returns contain information which if used to make a decision on employment, could be a basis for a claim of illegal discrimination or violation of your right to privacy. This would include any indication on your tax returns regarding your religious background or whether or not you are disabled. Also, your social security number is XXXXX information.

If you choose to go ahead with giving your tax returns out, you want to be sure to black out your social security number. Another thing you can do is asking if you can simply produce a W-2 instead to verify his past wages.

Please let me know if you have any further questions. Please also kindly consider rating my answer positively so that I am compensated by the website for my work on your question. Rating positively does not cause an additional charge and does not prevent us from further discussing your questions.

Best Regards,