John, Employment Lawyer
Experience:  Exclusively practice labor and employment law.

can i draw unemployment and social security at the same time

can i draw unemployment and social security at the same time in alabama
Hi, thanks for submitting your question today. I'm assuming you are referring to social security retirement benefits (not disability benefits). You can collect both social security and unemployment at the same time because you do not necessarily have to be "retired" to collect social security. The requirement to collect unemployment is that you be ready, willing and able to work. So, provided you are not "retired" (i.e., you still are ready, willing and able to work) you are qualified for unemployment benefits. Further, neither the Social Security Administration nor the Unemployment agency reduce benefits when this occurs - i.e., your social security benefits will not be reduced because you're getting unemployment, and unemployment will not be reduced because you are receiving social security.

I believe this answers your question. However, if you need clarification or have follow-up questions regarding this matter, I will be happy to continue our conversation – select the Reply to Expert or Continue Conversation button. If you are otherwise satisfied with my response, please leave a positive rating as it is the only way I am able to get credit for my answers. Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX wish you all the best with this matter.