Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  20+ Years of Employment Law Experience
10285032

What law is a unlicensed counselor breaking if they hire a

What law is a unlicensed counselor breaking if they hire a former patient in the state of California. My husband who is a sex addict worked with this counselor and then was offered a job. Is this guy breaking some code of ethics that we should be aware of.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking.

It is not unlawful for a mental heath or healthcare practitioner to hire a former or current patient. What is illegal is for someone to practice medicine or mental health counseling without a license and this is considered a criminal offense in CA punishable by either up to 1 year in jail or up to 5 years in jail (as it can be charged as a misdemeanor or felony at the DA's discretion). However, there is no law that states a health professional cannot hire a former patient.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.