How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 109873
Experience:  20+ Years of Employment Law Experience
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I just received a nonearnings garnishment however the bank

This answer was rated:

I just received a nonearnings garnishment however the bank listed as garnishee is from a savings account I had with my dad as the "overseer" since it was opened while I was underage and, until I got this letter, was pretty certain had been emptied and closed after I got married almost 10 years ago. Also, I have no income, receive assistance through the state (MA, energy assistance, food support, and public housing) and pretty much the only "income" under my name is XXXXX XXXXX SSI. I've done an exemption form way back earlier this year so I don't know what this is all about. I really don't know where to go from here and have no money to hire a lawyer. Please help!
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking.

If your trust account that your dad was overseeing has your name on the account, then if there is a judgment creditor they are allowed to attach that account to satisfy the judgment against you I am afraid. You are going to have to prove that the money in that trust account (which is what you are describing here) was from exempt earnings and if the money in there was not from exempt earnings I am afraid it is legally capable of being attached and you have to try to file another exception in the court that issued the order and argue your severe financial hardship to seek to get that money in that account exempted based on that hardship I am sorry to say.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

That account is empty though so what happens next? Can they go after my dad since his name is XXXXX XXXXX too?

No, they cannot go after your dad. If the account is empty and no more money goes in the account then they can get nothing from that account.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you. You've been really helpful.


Another thing: They sent me an Exemption form this past Winter, which I filled out and returned with all the appropriate materials they asked for to prove my financial hardship so I'm not understanding what's going on now... I want this debt off my shoulders so I can move on, but I have no way of paying it. What do you suggest I do now? Even $20/month can be hard to keep because of hospital parking, etc, for my son's medical appointments and surgeries. Should I contact them about working something out again? Is it too late to do so? Or am I better off trying to fight this garnishment?

Thank you for your response.

Unfortunately, you have to send in an exception every time they submit a levy. An alternative to get this off of your back, you can file for bankruptcy and just get the debt extinguished, because at this point it is likely your credit score is low because of this debt. However, if you do not want to file bankruptcy and get the debt extinguished completely, you can negotiate with them for a payment plan to fight off the garnishment. You are better fighting the garnishment, since you do not sound like you have anything they can legally seize for the satisfaction of the debt.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

My husband and I are separated and used to have a joint account, which my name may or may not be on any longer. If it does still have my name attached to it, are they able to seize that account and garnish his wages? If I'm no longer attached to it, are they still able to check history and find that account to pursue it? All I know is about his income is that he just recently found a job and is barely making a little more than minimum wage so, despite our differences, I don't wish that on him.

Also, if I fight the garnishment, what should I do next?

Yes, I am afraid that if your name is XXXXX XXXXX any account, the creditor has a right to seek to levy that account. However, if your ex can prove you do not have any funds in that account he can file an exception and get that levy released to stop them from taking money from that account.

If you fight the garnishment, then you need to next negotiate a resolution of the debt with the creditor or seriously consider bankruptcy to get this matter over with completely.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 109873
Experience: 20+ Years of Employment Law Experience
Law Educator, Esq. and 5 other Employment Law Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • I must thank you all for such a positive and knowledgeable Expert in your Employment Law category. She has provided much relief and answers for me in the midst of dealing with a case. I am totally pleased with her customer service and care. Mildred Washington, DC
< Previous | Next >
  • I must thank you all for such a positive and knowledgeable Expert in your Employment Law category. She has provided much relief and answers for me in the midst of dealing with a case. I am totally pleased with her customer service and care. Mildred Washington, DC
  • Excellent direction from Socrateaser to help me preserve and pursue my rights as a proud American who has become unemployed in this messed-up economic downfall. Thank you Happy Customer Denver, CO
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA

Meet The Experts:

  • Tina



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA, recognized by ABA for excellence.
< Last | Next >
  • Tina's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA, recognized by ABA for excellence.
  • Allen M., Esq.'s Avatar

    Allen M., Esq.

    Employment Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Employment/Labor Law Litigation
  • Marsha411JD's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Licensed Attorney with 29 yrs. exp in Employment Law
  • Infolawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Licensed attorney helping employers and employees.
  • JB Umphrey's Avatar

    JB Umphrey


    Satisfied Customers:

    Assisting employees and employers for over 14 years.
  • Dimitry K., Esq.'s Avatar

    Dimitry K., Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    I provide employment and discrimination law advice in my own practice.
  • John's Avatar


    Employment Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Exclusively practice labor and employment law.