Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  20+ Years of Employment Law Experience
10285032

My daughter works part time at Kroger and makes $9.40 per hour.

My daughter works part time at Kroger and makes $9.40 per hour. she has worked there 3 years. New hires doing same job are hired in at $12.00 per hour. Kroger refuses to pay her what the new hires get.....she has asked management many times and they refuse.
She is an excellent employee (college grad/2nd job). What can she do to get the same pay the new hires get.
If she quits and hires back in she loses her seniority.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking.

If she is an employee without a written contract for employment, I am sorry to say she is an at will employee, which means that the employer has the sole discretion in setting pay. As long as she is not being paid less for the same job based on her age/race/sex, I am afraid that legally this is well within the employer's discretion.

If she is being paid differently based upon her age/race/sex, she would file a complaint under the Equal Pay Act for discrimination in her pay.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks very much. This clears the air of a much discussed subject in the household......I will give you the best rating.........tom