Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  20+ Years of Employment Law Experience

I believe my rights were violated by my employer during my

I believe my rights were violated by my employer during my recent FMLA medical leave. My insurance benefits were terminated for non-payment of premiums because I did not pay my part, even though I was not provided an opportunity to do so until after my insurance was cancelled. Then, after I returned to work, I planned to restart my insurance. In order to do so, my employer made me pay for the benefits owed while I was cancelled. Were they allowed to do this?
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking.

Unfortunately, if you were under your employer's insurance, they are allowed to make you pay for your benefits to have coverage, but they cannot terminate your insurance without you having received notice to either pay or it would be terminated. If you never received notice prior to cancellation, then you need to file your complaint with the Department of Labor, since they handle COBRA and FMLA violations, which is what this would come under.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.