Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  I provide employment and discrimination law advice in my own practice.
18572087

Hello me and several employees that worked for Home Goods in

Hello me and several employees that worked for Home Goods in Pa went through differnet types of discrimination. Which made all of us either quitting or leaving the job. We also made calls to the EEOC which didn't help the cituation. I was turned away and told i should have stayied. I had a meeting with my bosses boss and spoke with his boss. Nothing was done so i left. The company had a in house hr rep that introduced me and another black employee as HECKLE AND JECKLE 2 black crows from a old cartoon. Which was beyond ou of line. I was suppose to be transfered to another store in CA but my manager never made it a priority to do the paper work. So live goes on for them like nothing never happened. It will be 2 years i think August 11th do you think there is still time for a civil case? I now live in California, would i be able to do it from here?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. I am a licensed Pennsylvania professional and will do my best to assist you with your concerns.

I am genuinely sorry to hear that you are in this situation. Under Pennsylvania laws (and only Pennsylvania laws would govern this, as that is where the alleged violations took place--you would not be able to sue in California), you generally only have 300 days to file with the EEOC by claiming discrimination. Beyond that period of time you are time barred by the statute of limitations for bringing a claim. As a consequence I believe you waited a bit too long to pursue this, and would be unable to file in PA. I also happen to agree with you that how you were introduced is extremely offensive and wrong, but I cannot control the statutory limitations.

I am sorry.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Even if i went to them and reported it to them. After it happened? They wouldn't listen to me but what about the others that filed.

Opal,

Thank you for your follow-up. Once reported, it stops the statutory period from moving until the EEOC makes a decision. If they found no wrong-doing, the statute begins running again from the original period of time. Most employment discrimination law attorneys will not touch a case until and if there is a 'right to sue' letter available and issued by the EEOC. If the EEOC refuses to issue, then it is highly unlikely any attorney would agree to represent. You can still attempt to contact attorneys directly as is your right, but without a large retainer I see no attorney pursuing this for you. What the others can do is separate from what you can do, their own statutory limitation runs in the same manner as yours, so some may have individual causes of action, some may not. You could also arguably consider a class action suit against the chain if you believe this to be pervasive and located in most their stores. For that consider browsing the listings at www.avvo.com and www.martindale.com for PA class action attorneys.

GOod luck.

Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience: I provide employment and discrimination law advice in my own practice.