Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA, recognized by ABA for excellence.

Recent developments at work have led me to inquire about this....Three

Customer Question

Recent developments at work have led me to inquire about this....Three times since August of 2012, my CEO made remarks that I was the company's "Token No-Mo"....that means the the company toke non-mormon. It bother me at the time, but the next two superiors in line were both of the Mormon faith and I was afraid to report the harassment.

On 11-28, after busting a student with pot at my school, the same ceo got involved. The student was ultimately suspended becauseshe admitted to using pot on school campus but we could not find any on her. The next day, while in my office a small bag containing pot anda pipe were found. The CEO was alerted who then came and returned the pot and pipe to the student's parents.

On another note, it as recently come to light that a confidential conversation I had with this CEO, and two other supervisors was discussed with an employee I supervise. It was discussed by the district superintendent, who also serves as the HR in our company and is of the mormon faith.

Help??
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Tina replied 11 months ago.

Hello and welcome.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX my goal is to provide you with excellent service today. I am sorry to hear of your difficult situation. Before I can give you an accurate answer to your question, please provide the following additional information:

You believe the comments involve religious discrimination against you? Have you suffered any monetary damages as a result of the employer's conduct? I don't follow you on the facts about the student caught smoking pot, what does that have to do with your case?

I look forward to assisting you as soon as I have received this information. Thank you.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

I have not suffered any monetary damages at all, but after hearing the same comment three times felt harassed in a way. I felt I could not say anything as I feared for my job.

As for the pot, how can a sitting state senator and CEO ofa public school return an illegal substance to a parent? Not really anything to do with my case, but I thought it may show the character of the CEO in question.

Please forgive me...I am all over the road as I have never done this before.

Expert:  Tina replied 11 months ago.

I see. Thank you so much for providing this additional information, Mike.

It certainly does indicate poor judgment for them to return an illegal substance to a parent. I agree with you there and I understand how disconcerting it must be for you to be treated with such disrespect.

It does sound as though the employer is engaging in or at least permitting religious discrimination against you because you are not of a certain religious faith. That typically violates federal and state laws.

However, since you have not suffered any injury at this point, I would hesitate in filing a formal charge of discrimination against the employer. Instead, I would usually retain a local employment law attorney for the limited purpose of communicating the law to the employer and requesting that they refrain from engaging in this conduct in the future.

This would serve to put the employer on notice that you intend to protect your legal rights and that this is a serious concern for you.

The law also prohibits retaliation, and I understand you are concerned about that, but if you do file a formal complaint or retain an attorney to communicate with the employer, you are more protected by law than if you say nothing.

I hope this helps clarify the situation for you. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need so I will be compensated for my time from the deposit you posted with this website. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Thank you!

Tina, Lawyer
Experience: JD, BBA, recognized by ABA for excellence.
Expert:  Tina replied 11 months ago.

Thank you very much for your positive rating of my service. It has been my pleasure to assist you and I hope you will ask for me should a future legal need arise.

If you receive a Customer Satisfaction Survey from JustAnswer, please consider scoring me a 9 or 10. It benefits my ability to assist you and other customers, and would be tremendously appreciated.

Thanks again and all the best to you.

Note: Please feel free to request me if you have future legal questions by typing your new question in the question box on my profile page. Here is a link to that page, which you can bookmark or add to your favorites: http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-tina/. I look forward to hearing from you again should the need arise.