wallstreetfighter
wallstreetfighter, Employment Lawyer
Experience:  14 years exp, General counsel for National Corp. firms, Hostos College instructor, Represented employees in discrimination lawsuits

My employer deducted money from my pay for filing H1 fees and

My employer deducted money from my pay for filing H1 fees and sent me emails to a send checks towards filing LCA too and rest of the H1 fees. What do you think i can do in this situation? What are the repercussions ensuing if i proceed legally?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  wallstreetfighter replied 12 months ago.

wallstreetfighter :

Hello I am a licensed attorney here to help you with your question, please review my response and do not hesitate to ask for clarification

wallstreetfighter :

Under the law the employer must bear the costs for most of the H1B filing fees,

wallstreetfighter :

if the employer is taking such payments out of your check, you can file a DOL audit complaint and wage complaint,

wallstreetfighter :

An employer clearly must pay the training fee (of $1500 or $750 depending on the number of
employees) and may not allow the worker to pay it directly, by deduction from wages or in any other
fashion.

wallstreetfighter :

In terms of other legal fees or expenses being billed by the employer, the regulations more specifically state that unauthorized deductions are prohibited only insofar as they
would cause the net wage to fall below the required wage. In other words,
the DOL regulations would suggest that an employee can pay H-1B fees and costs provided that he or
she is still receiving the “required wage” net of the “deduction.”

wallstreetfighter :

The employer is liable clearly for the training fee the other fees, can be billed to the employee however the employees wages cannot be lowered under the offered wage to pay them.

wallstreetfighter, Employment Lawyer
Experience: 14 years exp, General counsel for National Corp. firms, Hostos College instructor, Represented employees in discrimination lawsuits
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
wallstreetfighter : Hello I am a licensed attorney here to help you with your question, please review my response and do not hesitate to ask for clarification
wallstreetfighter : Under the law the employer must bear the costs for most of the H1B filing fees,
wallstreetfighter : if the employer is taking such payments out of your check, you can file a DOL audit complaint and wage complaint,
wallstreetfighter : An employer clearly must pay the training fee (of $1500 or $750 depending on the number of
fashion.
wallstreetfighter : In terms of other legal fees or expenses being billed by the employer, the regulations more specifically state that unauthorized deductions are prohibited only insofar as they
wallstreetfighter : The employer is liable clearly for the training fee the other fees, can be billed to the employee however the employees wages cannot be lowered under the offered wage to pay them.
Customer: replied 12 months ago.

Could you explain in detail as what required and net pay is?

they have to pay the training fee as per the law, which is either $750 or $1500 so that fee must be paid by the employer.

The law does allow the employer to charge an employee for other fees such as legal fees, however they cannot reduce your salary in any way to pay for the fees or deduct your wages, your wages cannot fall below the LCA wage.
wallstreetfighter, Employment Lawyer