wallstreetfighter
wallstreetfighter, Employment Lawyer
Experience:  14 years exp, General counsel for National Corp. firms, Hostos College instructor, Represented employees in discrimination lawsuits
16356563

Hi I am a visiting faculty at a public university. I was offered

Hi I am a visiting faculty at a public university. I was offered an one-year extension in March (starting date is in August) and I accepted and signed the offer. A few days ago I got another job offer and accepted it. Is there any legal consequance for reneging the old offer? The old offer letter did not have any terms regarding to quitting. Thank you.

wallstreetfighter :

Hello I am a licensed attorney here to help you with your question, please review my response and do not hesitate to ask for clarification

wallstreetfighter :

Did the original contract state you are an at will employee?

Customer:

No, it does not say at will.

wallstreetfighter :

Ohio is an at will state, which means you can be terminated at anytime and als quit at anytime without notice, if there is no early termination clause, you can accept the new offer however,if they wish they could sue you for any damages incurred

wallstreetfighter :

because you accepted the position and canceled later, such as new advertising expenses,

wallstreetfighter :

The chances of that happening are low, as the legal costs would be more than what they could receive in a lawsuit,

Customer:

Can they call my new employer and ruin my new job?

wallstreetfighter :

In terms of other legal issues, the former employer could use this action against you if you ever need a reference,

wallstreetfighter :

If they call the new employer and defame you,

wallstreetfighter :

you can sue them for defamation,

wallstreetfighter :

If the offer letter is silent as to the length of the term of employment then it will be at-will.

Customer:

the offer letter does indicate the length of employment (starting and ending date)

wallstreetfighter :

Does it state anything about termination?

wallstreetfighter :

If not, the default Ohio law would apply which would make the contract an at will contract, allowing you to cancel

Customer:

no. the termination is on the ending date.

wallstreetfighter :

This is an at will contract and you can leave,

wallstreetfighter :

You could send a letter to the former employer stating you have to cancel the contract due to a family emergency and leave it like that

Customer:

I've been too honest and told the former employer that I have accepted another job offer. But I did not disclose the name of the new employer.

wallstreetfighter :

That is fine, there is little they can do to you,

Customer:

My former supervisor told me the university may call the new employer. is it true or an empty threat?

wallstreetfighter :

It would be an empty threat,

wallstreetfighter :

you can send them a letter threatening legal action if they defame you in anyway

Customer:

okay. if my former employer sues me for something like advertising cost, will that make my lose my new job?

wallstreetfighter :

no,

wallstreetfighter :

he would have to sue you personally,

wallstreetfighter :

it should not have any bearing on the new job

Customer:

So you mean if they sue me, my new employer will not know about it?

wallstreetfighter :

yes,

Customer:

thank you! I don't have any questions.