wallstreetfighter
wallstreetfighter, Employment Lawyer
Experience:  14 years exp, General counsel for National Corp. firms, Hostos College instructor, Represented employees in discrimination lawsuits

I am a manager at a small business.A sabodinate and I are in

I am a manager at a small business.A sabodinate and I are in love .My employer will not let us date for fear of sexual harassment lawsuit. how can we guarantee they cannot get sewed?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  wallstreetfighter replied 9 months ago.

wallstreetfighter :

Hello I am a licensed attorney here to help you with your question, please review my response and do not hesitate to ask for clarification

wallstreetfighter :

This is a common situation,

wallstreetfighter :

under the law an employer can stop dating in the workplace, however

wallstreetfighter :

in terms of protecting the company from a potential lawsuit,

wallstreetfighter :

you would have to either transfer positions to where your other does not have any role,

wallstreetfighter :

there is no "love contract" that could ever protect an employer or an employee from sexual harassment,

wallstreetfighter :

the reason is that it has to apply when the parties break up,

wallstreetfighter :

and that is where the issues happen,

wallstreetfighter :

if one party stops the relationship, potential liability can occur especially if one party is in a higher position then the other at work.

to be safe from such accusations, it is better to have assign different duties to the subordinate if possible.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

so what can be done to insure there is no liability

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

not possible to move.only 4 emloyees.

To protect yourself and the relationship it is best to keep it secret if possible, since the relationship by itself is not an issue, the real issue is what happens when the relationship ends, in that case you should either distance yourself from the employee if that is not possible, you have to proceed carefully and take any complaint she makes seriously so it does not end up being a harassment case.

There is no legal document you can make to solve this, so the best advice is to proceed carefully, and have an outside party investigate any future complaints.

You can have an attorney draft a simple worded agreement that states you both entered into the relationship under free will and no promises of promotions or advancement were made, this avoids a potential quid pro quo lawsuit
wallstreetfighter, Employment Lawyer
Experience: 14 years exp, General counsel for National Corp. firms, Hostos College instructor, Represented employees in discrimination lawsuits