wallstreetfighter
wallstreetfighter, Employment Lawyer
Experience:  14 years exp, General counsel for National Corp. firms, Hostos College instructor, Represented employees in discrimination lawsuits
16356563

In a meeting between myself, my manager, quality manager and

In a meeting between myself, my manager, quality manager and a co-worker. We needed to call in the vp of operations for consultation. He was standing at the end of the conference table while we were seated. I started to ask a question about quality control and he interrupted me with clenched fists on the table telling me that my question was “f**king stupid.” Everyone in the room was quite taken aback by this. As our employee policy does not allow aggressive behavior or vulgar language I filed a formal complaint. HR did not respond but 24 hours later I was summoned to the ceo’s office for a meeting with him and the vp of operations. Before the vp arrived the ceo told me how great of a guy he was and how we weren’t going to make this anything more than it was. Once he arrived the ceo spoke to me mostly telling me that my question although not fully asked because I was interruptd was phrased in such a manner as to “poke him in the eye.” So his reaction although hostile was justified. I was not offered an apology by the vp. I left the meeting and went to my manager and relayed the results or lack thereof. I also told her that I felt that my issue was just dismissed and that I could work for a company that allowed such behavior so I quit. The ceo then asked to meet with me again right before I left in private. He wasn’t sure why I was leaving and I told him I felt like he dismissed my issue. He then told me that there was no need for the vp to apologize or any action to be taken against him as he had made great sacrifices for the company. He also admitted that the vp had clearly violated company policy with his actions but that nothing was going to be done about it. The vp had apologized to him for his actions and that was all that was needed. Since they admitted that he had violated a clear policy on behavior that any other employee would not have gotten away with. Do I have any legal standing for a lawsuit?

wallstreetfighter :

Hello I am a licensed attorney here to help you with your question, please review my response and do not hesitate to ask for clarification

wallstreetfighter :

Did you quit your job due to this incident?

Customer:

Yes I did.

wallstreetfighter :

In terms of legal action, there is little you can do at this point, unless the employer violated a written contract,

wallstreetfighter :

or the reason for the employers inaction was due to your race, gender, age or other protected civil right,

wallstreetfighter :

Under the law, an employer is allowed to regulate and enforce policy,

wallstreetfighter :

If you have quit due to this, you could attempt a constructive discharge lawsuit,

wallstreetfighter :

this is when the employer has created such a toxic work environment,

wallstreetfighter :

that you feel you had no option but to leave,

wallstreetfighter :

That would be your only legal course of action in this type of matter, unless the employer violated a written contract,

Customer:

Thank you for your answer you never know unless you ask an expert.