wallstreetfighter
wallstreetfighter, Employment Lawyer
Experience:  14 years exp, General counsel for National Corp. firms, Hostos College instructor, Represented employees in discrimination lawsuits
16356563

My employer(state of Massachusett)sent me a non-compete agreement

My employer(state of Massachusett)sent me a non-compete agreement but i never signed it. Do you think my employer will still be able to sue me? He never paid any of the benefits mentioned in the agreement or medical insurance. I want to continue working with the same client and vendor but through a different employer? Do you think it is okay for me to move to the new employer
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  wallstreetfighter replied 1 year ago.

wallstreetfighter :

Hello I am a licensed attorney here to help you with your question, please review my response and do not hesitate to ask for clarification

wallstreetfighter :

This is a common situation,

wallstreetfighter :

if you have never signed a non compete agreement it never became a fully executed contract, and you cannot be binded by its provisions,

wallstreetfighter :

As long as there is not contract that you are violating you can switch employers, without any cause to worry, especially since the non compete agreement was never signed.

Customer:

if i would have signed do u think he can go to the court and sue me and in that case while the case is in the court can i still continue working with the same client?

wallstreetfighter :

if signed, he could try to enforce the non compete,

wallstreetfighter :

however it would be expensive for him to do this,

wallstreetfighter :

and it is possible that he can ask for an injunction, stopping you from working, while the case is going on,

wallstreetfighter :

If he did not pay the benefits as per the agreement, you can argue he violated the terms, and counter sue for those benefits,

Customer:

i think that answers my question. Thank you for your answers wallstreetfighter

wallstreetfighter :

Good luck, and if you have any further questions please do not hesitate to ask.

wallstreetfighter :

If satisfied please provide us with positive feedback so we can receive credit.

wallstreetfighter :

Thank you

Customer:

how do i do that?

wallstreetfighter :

you can ask for wallstreetfighter at anytime,

wallstreetfighter :

and I can answer your questions.,

Customer:

ok surely.. Will do..

wallstreetfighter :

good luck

wallstreetfighter :

wallstreetfighter :

Thank you

Customer:

One last question.. How much do u think he can sue me for?

wallstreetfighter :

it would be limited, but he can sue for alleged damages to his company that he would have received from the client,

Customer:

Ok.

wallstreetfighter :

if you have any further questions please do not hesitate to ask.

wallstreetfighter, Employment Lawyer
Experience: 14 years exp, General counsel for National Corp. firms, Hostos College instructor, Represented employees in discrimination lawsuits