wallstreetfighter, Employment Lawyer
Experience:  14 years exp, General counsel for National Corp. firms, Hostos College instructor, Represented employees in discrimination lawsuits

I live in Oklahoma and work for a state university. Complaints

Customer Question

I live in Oklahoma and work for a state university. Complaints have been filed against me with HR. Am I allowed to get any information about the complaints?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  wallstreetfighter replied 3 years ago.

wallstreetfighter :

Hello I am a licensed attorney here to help you with your question, please review my response and do not hesitate to ask for clarification

wallstreetfighter :

Are you part of a Union?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No, I am not part of a union. I cannot find anything in the faculty handbook or my contract about access to employee or HR files.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No, I am not part of a union.
There is no law giving any employee in Oklahoma the right to inspect their own personnel files, so if there is no written policy you would not have such a rights, however if ever terminated, you can through an unemployment benefits hearing force the employer to show you the file, also if you sue them for defamation, you can have them turn over the file, however these would have to be Court ordered.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I have had disciplinary action taken against me based on complaints filed but I have never been notified about them or know specifically what they are. No investigation has taken place to my knowledge because I have never given my side. Under these circumstances, can I not get information about the complaints filed?
Not unless, you are bringing some type of official complaint against the employer OK, does not give any legal rights to employees to review files, if you feel you are being discriminated against you can file an official State civil rights complaint, and the agency can provide you copies of your files,

But without such official court action, the law does not give you this rights.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you!
good luck