Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Lawyer
Experience:  Employment Law Expert
11068102

I am asking my former employer for the possibility of rewording

I am asking my former employer for the possibility of rewording my 'reason for termination' The reason on termination papers now is theft. I borrowed a wheelchair to a patient without prior authorization. The wheelchair was returned before I was approached by supervisors. What is a better "reason" that I could have written on my termination record. Theft is causing a lot of problems with obtaining new employment. P.S.....after 22 years this was the only reprimand in my folder
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.

JD 1992 :

Hello and thank you for contacting Just Answer. I am an expert here and I look forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification.

JD 1992 :

When you say, "I borrowed a wheelchair to a patient without prior authorization" do you mean you lent a company owned wheelchair to a patient?

JD 1992 :

Are you there?

JD 1992 :

It looks like the chat function may be having problems so I'm going to switch this to a standard Q and A.

Dwayne B., Lawyer
Experience: Employment Law Expert
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Is this where I should wait for an answer?

Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.
Yes. I had asked a question earlier:

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes

Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.
You can ask your employer to change it to "Unauthorized use of company materials" or "Improper use of company materials".

What you may want to consider doing is hiring a lawyer to write to the employer and explain to them that reporting this to other people as "stealing" could actually be actionable as slander since the object was never intended to remain in the person's possession and was returned before any action was taken.

You can, of course, try and handle it yourself but you would be much more likely to get results if you used an attorney to write the letter and it should be fairly inexpensive.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you very much for your time! I will try your advise.

Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.
You're very welcome.

Best wishes to you on this and please don't forget to leave a Positive Rating (of course I’d suggest Excellent!) so I get credit for my work.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

deal!