Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Lawyer
Experience:  Employment Law Expert
11068102

rumors are being spread around that Im a thief. I have not

Customer Question

rumors are being spread around that I'm a thief. I have not taken a thinking. It started last year, and was told that it was to stop and has started again. Is this harassment
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 3 years ago.

JD 1992 :

Hello and thank you for contacting Just Answer. I am an expert here and I look forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification.

JD 1992 :

Who is spreading the rumors?

JACUSTOMER-xhfq2c1g- :

I belong to a fire dept. and members are spreading the rumors and I'm sick of it. It is not true and does not put me in a good light.

JD 1992 :

It is harassment but as far as your employer it isn't harassment which can result in a lawsuit.

JD 1992 :

MD, like most states, is an employment at will state which severely limits any lawsuits against an employer.

JACUSTOMER-xhfq2c1g- :

I'm not employed, I'm a volunteer member

JD 1992 :

That does make somewhat of a difference. You could sue the people spreading the rumors for slander and you could, conceivably, sue the department for being a part of that or for them not doing anything to dissuade it.

JACUSTOMER-xhfq2c1g- :

Thank you.

JD 1992 :

You're very welcome and I am sorry you're having these problems. Anything else I can assist with?

JD 1992 :

Best wishes to you on this and please don't forget to leave a Positive Rating (of course I’d suggest Excellent!) so I get credit for my work.