Marsha411JD, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed Attorney with 28 yrs. exp in Employment Law
19127644

I am currently unemployed in NJ. My first set of benefits went

I am currently unemployed in NJ. My first set of benefits went expired as I used them all, twenty something weeks.

So when I claimed my benefits last week it said BENEFITS EXHAUSTED. But I got the last week pay of the balance. I know there are extensions, but I didnt get anything in the mail or what not. Will it just be there when I go to claim my benefits are something? Does it automatically get applied the extension?

Thanks
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Marsha411JD replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the information and your question. Your EUC (Federal Emergency Unemployment Compensation) Tier I benefits, which are for up to 14 weeks, will start automatically as you continue to make your weekly claim. At this point in time, the Federal EUC are only available through December 2013. There are two other tiers that are still available after exhaustion of Tier I. However, none will be available, unless Congress extends those benefits, after December. You can read more about the EUC by going to: http://lwd.state.nj.us/labor/ui/content/ui_extensions.html

Please let me know if you need any clarification.
Marsha411JD, Lawyer
Experience: Licensed Attorney with 28 yrs. exp in Employment Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

This is what it said when I went to go claim my benefits today...

New Jersey Internet Application for
Claiming Bi-Weekly Unemployment Insurance Benefits

The remaining balance on your unemployment claim dated 10-28-2012 is "0."
No unemployment benefits are available to you at this time.

If you returned to work since filing this claim, you may be eligible to file for a
new claim after 10-26-2013. You may file a new claim at www.njuifile.net

or you may call your Reemployment Call Center during regular business hours,
Monday through Friday from 8:30am to 4:30pm at the following numbers:
Thank you for your reply. If you have not received any EUC benefits, then you should, as I mentioned receive your Tier 1 benefits as I described and is discussed at the link I provided. I can't second guess what the Site says, I can only tell you what the law is and that you will want to keep filing your weekly claim and also attempt to contact the Call Center to clarify what they are saying.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The site says the Tier is no longer available after July 13th 2013. I am not quite sure what this exactly means. I tried to reOPEN a claim online, but it said I have an existing claim and I cant. Should I call the 201 number and talk to someone. I am not sure why it didnt just roll over after my first set of benefits ended.

Only Tier IV benefits are no longer available after July 13th. If you were already receiving EUC and are at that level, then there are no more benefits. But from what I understood by your facts, you had only gone through your regular unemployment benefits and had not started EUC (Federal Emergency extended benefits.) If that is the case, then Tier I through III is still available until December. So, yes, you should try to contact the office just to clarify. But if the system allows you continue to put in weekly reports, do not stop doing so.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you!

You're welcome and best of luck to you!