JBaxLaw
JBaxLaw, Employment Lawyer
Experience:  Government and private sector employment law experience
16110456

My position was recently eliminated and I was laid off.. and received a severance calculat

My position was recently eliminated and I was laid off.. and received a severance calculated using years of service and age. My Unemployment Benefit application was postponed as a result of the severance.
Is there any way to receive even partial help?

I am a professional here to assist you. I appreciate your use of this service.

You are correct that the law in Colorado, Colorado's Employment Security Act (8-70-101), requires that unemployment benefits be reduced or postponed when receiving severance pay. The reduction of postponement depends on the amount of severance received. Both lump sum and monthly severance payments have the same effect. The good news is that the overall benefit is not reduced, but it is delayed. This may not be the news you were hoping to hear, but it is best to know this upfront. For example, those who fail to report severance pay can be stuck later having to repay benefits or even be accused of unemployment fraud.

Please follow-up with me as needed. I hope you will take a moment to leave a positive rating for my efforts here. Please do not hesitate to follow-up with me if you cannot leave a positive service rating. Your satisfaction is my goal. I rely on these service ratings. I appreciate it.

Thank you
Thank you so much for allowing me to assist you.

Please let me know if you need any other assistance. Thank you for leaving me a positive rating and ensuring that I receive credit for assisting you.

Thank you again