Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA, recognized by ABA for excellence.

My husbands Ex-wife works in the HR department of the company

Customer Question

My husbands Ex-wife works in the HR department of the company I use to work for in UT. Anytime my husband goes to pickup his kids he records everything as shes known to go off on him. Last time she felt the need to tell him about my financial history from my credit report. We have it recorded and the only way she would have access to that information is if she retrieved it from my employment file.
Is there re-coarse on this? If she is telling him, who knows how many other people she is discussing my personal record with.

Thank you in advance.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Tina replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX my goal is to provide you with excellent service today. I am sorry to hear of your difficult situation. Before I can give you an accurate answer to your question, please provide the following additional information:

Do you know whether the employer is aware that the employee is disclosing this personal information?

I look forward to assisting you as soon as I have received this information. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No, they don't know yet.

Expert:  Tina replied 1 year ago.
I see. Thank you for clarifying that for me.

The easiest way to resolve this situation normally is to report it to the employer, whomever in the company with the authority to investigate and take disciplinary action against the employee. Usually, employers have strict policies with regard to disclosing the personal information of employees since they can be held liable for such disclosures.

Since the information was disclosed to your husband, it would not likely be worth pursuing legal action against the company or employee, but if it is discovered that your confidential information was disclosed to others who do not have a reason to know such information, then that could provide grounds for legal action against the employer/employee and for which you should retain a local employment law attorney.

I hope this helps clarify the situation for you. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need so I will be compensated for my time from the deposit you posted with this website. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Thank you!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

If she is willing to discuss it with an Ex-husband, then that shows she is willing to talk about it outside of the work place with others, including her current husband.

One point is the stuff on my credit is personal and prior to me being married, therefore how is it legal for her to disclose that information to him?

That really disappoints me she can't be held accountable for this.

Expert:  Tina replied 1 year ago.
Hello again,

It is not that she can't be held accountable for this, she could be, but it would likely cost you more to pursue a lawsuit than you could recover unless you can prove that she disclosed the information to individuals other than your husband since a court would require that to assess damages typically and the amount of damages would likely be minimal for disclosure only to your husband. If you still wish to pursue legal action though, you should retain a local attorney to represent you in this matter. If you prevail, you might be able to recover attorney's fees in the case.

The employer is likely to take action against her though as well if you inform them of the disclosures since they could be held liable for her actions as well, so they have an interest in rectifying the situation, which would cost you nothing.

Tina, Lawyer
Experience: JD, BBA, recognized by ABA for excellence.
Expert:  Tina replied 1 year ago.

Thank you very much for your positive rating of my service. It has been my pleasure to assist you and I hope you will ask for me should a future legal need arise.

If you receive a Customer Satisfaction Survey from JustAnswer, please consider scoring me a 9 or 10. It benefits my ability to assist you and other customers, and would be tremendously appreciated.

Thanks again and all the best to you.

Note: Please feel free to request me if you have future legal questions by typing your new question in the question box on my profile page. Here is a link to that page, which you can bookmark or add to your favorites: http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-tina/. I look forward to hearing from you again should the need arise.