Andrea, Esq.
Andrea, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  25 yrs. of experience in employment law, real estate and business law, family law, criminal defense and immigration.
20073497

In 2004 I was in a nurse drug recovery program called CANDO

Customer Question

In 2004 I was in a nurse drug recovery program called CANDO in Az. I self reported to state board of nursing which put me in this program. I was unable to continue in the program because my 3yr old son at the time had a massive stroke. He was my number one priority and I didn't think I would ever work as a RN again because of the severity of his stroke. Az board revoked my license for non compliance. Which at the time didn't make a difference to me. Well 10yrs later I find out it was a big issue! I went back to work as a caregiver 2yrs ago in an assisted living home. Doing great and loving it! 4 days ago I got fired! Apparently back in 2004 when my license was revoked, my name also got put on some list called OIG. My boss told me they had no choice then to let me go or they could lose their Medicaid benefits. They told me I can have my job back when I get my name removed from this list. My question, how do I do that? I don't even know why it's on there. Please help. I can't work at all in the medical field until my name is off.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Andrea, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, My name is XXXXX XXXXX my goal is to provided you with Excellent Service,

I am so sorry to hear that your son had a stroke, I never even realized that a child that young could have a stroke. I hope that he is doing well. Being a mother, I can certainly understand what you were going through and how priorities change. I am equally sorry to hear what the State Board of Nursing has done to you.

Q. Did you ever report to them what had happened to your son and why you did not complete the drug program in 2004 ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Oh yes I did. Even had to go in front of the board for a hearing on what they were going to do with my license. They wouldn't let me postpone it even with a surgean telling them my son mite need brain surgery. They didn't care
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I had got past all that and had excepted I prob would never get my license back and have been very happy doing what I did b4 I was fired. Now 10 yrs later it comes back to haunt me

Thank you for your additional information,

When an individual's name is XXXXX XXXXX the list maintained by the Office of the Inspector General, US Department of Health and Human Services, they cannot work in any facility which participates in the Medicare, Medicaid and all Federal health care programs, and if any facility which participates in these programs hires an individual whose name appears on the Exclusions list, will be subject to civil monetary penalties,

However, you can apply for reinstatement. First, you must find out when your period of exclusion ends because applications for reinstatement will not be rejected if they are submitted before the expiration of the exclusionary period.

In order to apply for reinstatement, send a written request to OIG at the address I have provided below. The OIG will then provide you with a Statement and Authorization forms which you must fill out, sign before a Notary Public, and return to the Office of the Inspector General. The OIG will evaluate the information you have included in your forms and will send you written notification of their decision.
The process can take 120 days or longer, so you have to be patient.

Send your request for forms and reinstatement to the following address:

HHS, OIG, OI
Attn: Exclusions
P.O. Box 23871
Washington, DC 20026

(202)(NNN) NNN-NNNN(Fax)

Please be kind enough to give me a positive rating so that I can receive credit for researching your question and furnishing you with Answers and information. It will not cost you anything additional to give me a rating, but it is necessary for receiving credit for assisting you. Thank you for understanding,

____________________________________________________________________

Please be kind enough to rate Excellent Service" so that I receive credit for assisting you,

Bonus and Positive Feedback on survey is very much appreciated,

ANDREA

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is there a faster way to go about it? And why is my name on it? The expiration says indefinite. What does that mean? Also, what am I suppose to say in this letter? I don't even know why I'm on the list?

I wish I could tell you that there is a faster way, but there isn't. I do not know what reason the nursing Board gave, possibly that you did not complete the drug program that they put you on. Maybe, before you request the forms for reinstatement, call them first and ask them why your name is XXXXX XXXXX Exclusions list and also ask when it was placed on the list. That way, you will know what issues you need to address in your request for reinstatement. I understand that it has been a long time, but now that you are in the home stretch, I do not think it would be wise to push the Office of the Inspector General, it's better to have them on your side, rather than working against you. Once you send in the Notarized forms for reinstatement, you can call them from time to time and ask the status, but I would not start pressing them before they even sent you the forms. Please be kind enough to give me a positive rating so that I can receive credit for researching your question and giving you Answers and information. Thank you for understanding,

ANDREA

Andrea, Esq., Lawyer
Experience: 25 yrs. of experience in employment law, real estate and business law, family law, criminal defense and immigration.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank u for your time Andrea. I already emailed the board last week and haven't heard back from them. I appreciate all your help.

You are very welcome, Thank you for your Excellent Service rating, I appreciate it greatly

If you need anything further or have questions in the future, please feel free to ask for me by typing my name at the beginning of your question like this,

"For Andrea only ........... "

Thank you again for allowing me the opportunity to be of assistance,

ANDREA