Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA, recognized by ABA for excellence.

when letting an employee go by either resignation or firing,

when letting an employee go by either resignation or firing, is a reason for termination or reason for asking for a resignation required by law.

Hello and welcome.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX my goal is to provide you with excellent service today. Before I can give you an accurate answer to your question, please provide the following additional information:

Does the employee have a contract that may require good cause for termination?

I look forward to assisting you as soon as I have received this information. Thank you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

no contract exists

Hello again, Steve, and thank you for clarifying that.

Where there is no contract of employment, the employment at will doctrine typically applies and an employer can terminate an employee for any reason which is not prohibited by law, or no reason at all. So an employer is not normally required to provide a reason for termination although it is usually in the employer's best interests to do so in an attempt to avoid claims of unlawful discrimination or retaliation as well as unemployment claims where the employee is being terminated for good cause.

Here is a link which provides more information on this issue:

I hope this helps clarify the situation for you. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need so I will be compensated for my time from the deposit you posted with this website. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Thank you!

Thank you very much for your positive rating of my service. It has been my pleasure to assist you and I hope you will ask for me should a future legal need arise.

If you receive a Customer Satisfaction Survey from JustAnswer, please consider scoring me a 9 or 10. It benefits my ability to assist you and other customers, and would be tremendously appreciated.

Thanks again and all the best to you.

Note: Please feel free to request me if you have future legal questions by typing your new question in the question box on my profile page. Here is a link to that page, which you can bookmark or add to your favorites: I look forward to hearing from you again should the need arise.