Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  20+ Years of Employment Law Experience

My Husband and I recently got a divorce. We owned a business

My Husband and I recently got a divorce. We owned a business 50/50. He got the business in the divorce and was ordered to pay me maintenance. Immediately after the divorce he got back surgery, now he is claiming he is disabled and on disability. I have not received any maintenance from him. Can you own a profitable business and claim disability?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking.

If the business is still operating, the court would not relieve him of his liability to pay maintenance just based on his disability. As long as the business is running, he has income from the business and the court would order maintenance to be paid from that business income. If he is able to run the business, then he could not be considered totally disabled. His disability could prevent him from performing certain tasks, but as long as he is able to operate and manage the business he would not be considered disabled. If he cannot operate the business and has to hire someone to do so, then the income he gets from the business would be passive income and he could claim disability.

HOWEVER, even if he cannot physically run the business and just receives passive income from the business, this does not relieve him of his obligation to pay maintenance and the court generally will order him to pay from his passive income from the business.

Thank you so much for using JustAnswer.com. I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered. PLEASE use REPLY to EXPERT if you would like more information or if you feel something was not included in your answer.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you,

What if he gives a percentage of ownership to our Son who just turned 18? I believe this is something he would do just to get out of paying his obligations

Thank you for your response.

I am afraid he could transfer the ownership, but you would also be able to challenge that transfer under the Fraudulent Transfer Act as him doing so to avoid paying a legal debt or obligation. If the court finds he did so for that purpose, then they can either cancel the transfer or continue to order him to pay by imputing income to him based on what he should be receiving from the business.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience: 20+ Years of Employment Law Experience