wallstreetfighter, Employment Lawyer
Experience:  14 years exp, General counsel for National Corp. firms, Hostos College instructor, Represented employees in discrimination lawsuits

I quit a job 3 years ago as a trucker and, after I quit, my

I quit a job 3 years ago as a trucker and, after I quit, my driver manager talked to her superiors who said they'd let me go. But, it was my decision to quit. Now I'm listed as terminated in their files.

Hello I am a licensed attorney. I am here to help answer your questions. Please do not hesitate to ask for clarification

This is an unfortunate situation.

If they listed you as terminated and has advised other employers of this, you can sue them for defamation,

at this point you should send a letter to the employer threatening legal action,

if they do not remove the defamatory statement,

the only benefit you would have by having them list that you were terminated is that you can apply for unemployment benefits.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Actually it was only 2 years and eight months that I informed my driver manager that I was going to quit. I had two prior service failures. The night before I was caught in a speed trap/zone and knew I was going to have another service failure for being late the next day. I wanted to quit because I knew I might be getting close to getting fired. But, I didn't think they could terminate me after having said that I was planning to quit. Do you think I'm right?

I'm concerned about how the company responds to my prospective employers because they have me down as terminated. They said it was an inability to perform job duties.

You should send a letter threatening legal action for defamation, at this point a lawsuit would be difficult as you stated you wanted to quit several years ago, however if you threaten a lawsuit, the employer in most cases will not tell prospective employers that you were terminated.

Also, if they claim you were terminated for poor performance, you can sue them for defamation, as they have to actually prove this.