Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

Unemployment question: My wife is in the Air Force Reserve

Unemployment question: My wife is in the Air Force Reserve and has been schedule to deploy to Kuwait for six months. I work overseas in Afghanistan as a contractor and planning in submitting my 2 week notice in good faith to stay home with the kids in hopes to land a job back stateside while my wife is deployed. Would I be entitled to unemployment benefits in the state of New York based on the circumstances?
Thank you for giving me the opportunity to assist you. Kindly use CONTINUE or REPLY button to ask for clarification or follow-up questions.

Response: Yes, you would be able to collect unemployment benefits if your employer has paid into unemployment insurance in the state of New York. Your quitting your job to take care of the children while your spouse is deployed falls under compelling family reason under Article 18 Title 7 of New York Unemployment Insurance Law Section 591(b):

http://www.labor.ny.gov/ui/dande/title7.shtm#591

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

What if my company declines my departure made in good will? Should I list the reason of my departure on my resignation letter? Please advise. Thank you.

Response
: Yes, you should list the reason for your departure on your resignation letter.