Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  20+ Years of Employment Law Experience
10285032

In a NYS DHR disability case where the attorney is working

In a NYS DHR disability case where the attorney is working on a contingency fee basis, can the ALJ award attorney fees on top of any contingency fee?
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking.

The ALJ can award "attorney's fees" which means the fees that you would have had to pay for the attorney, this is not in addition to the contingency fee, this is the contingency fee, unless your fee agreement with the attorney states otherwise in writing. The ALJ can also award costs on top of those legal fees.

Thank you so much for using JustAnswer.com. I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered. PLEASE use REPLY to EXPERT if you would like more information or if you feel something was not included in your answer.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO XXXXX CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.